Saturday, May 30, 2009

Up, Up and Away!

This morning we took Michael to his first ever movie theater to catch a showing of Pixar's new film, "Up". We weren't quite sure how well he would handle the experience since he is only two-and-a-half and has the attention span to match, but as David has been planning and waiting for this day since the moment he found out I was pregnant with Michael, I couldn't bear to hold him off any longer.


So it was off to Times Square we went, having told Michael all about the big movie screen and the popcorn and treats. It was made all the more exciting when we stepped in the theater to find that we would have to ride six or seven very tall escalators to get to our show. Michael was thrilled!

We quickly claimed our seats and pulled out our 3D glasses. We weren't sure how tolerant Michael would be of wearing them, but he left them on longer than I expected. The picture was actually quite clear even without them, which made me very glad we hadn't hiked out to New Jersey (where we would have had to go if we wanted to catch a showing that wasn't in 3D).


Michael enjoyed the show about as much as you would expect a two-year-old to enjoy it, only having a few minor incidents of restlessness. He especially liked the balloons, the flying, the giant colorful bird ("Peacock!" he exclaimed in top voice) and the talking dogs. With the aid of popcorn, soda and candy, he made it through the entire movie without having to be taken out of the theater (though he did have to be coaxed back into his seat a handful of times). I guess love of movies is in his genes after all.

David and I loved the show, laughing and crying our way through the entire thing. As I have been a bit disappointed in Pixar's last few films, it was nice to have my expectations fully satisfied this time around.


Since we were so impressed with Michael's movie theater behavior, we thought we'd take him to a Broadway show next month.

Ha ha, who am I kidding? There's no way we would spend that much money on a two-year-old. Ten dollars for a movie matinee is about all we can handle.

3 comments:

foculbrown said...

We loved "UP!", too. Pixar is just great!

fiona said...

I am totally excited to take N&B to their first movie sometime soon! Maybe it will be "Up"... Hmmm, they do love balloons... Michael is adorable, I love the huge glasses on him!

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it. I haven't seen it yet or heard anything about it. Yay for Michael being a good boy. At 10 bucks a pop, it stinks to leave half way through.... I would know.