Saturday, May 2, 2009

Coney Island


Today we decided to venture out to Coney Island, which has always conjured up images of hot dogs and funnel cake and Ferris wheels in my mind. It was pretty much exactly how I expected, right down to the dilapidated old buildings. There is just something magical and exciting about carnival rides and the scent of cotton candy in the air. We took a ride on the famous "Wonder Wheel", despite this rather ominous pronouncement we noticed while waiting in line:


Hmmmm, nothing like a little white-out to make you wonder just how long it's been since some poor soul plunged to his death.

David somehow managed to convince me to ride in one of the swinging cars (they run on tracks, so when you go around you zoom back and forth, swinging at each end of the track), telling me that it wouldn't be a true ride on the Wonder Wheel if we didn't try it. I told him he wouldn't think it was much of a Wonder Wheel ride if I ended up vomiting in his lap, but my objections were soon overcome. (I did end up feeling slightly sick, but a few hours later I had no trouble downing a funnel cake).


We were going to try out the spook alley, but a trip to the old, filthy bathrooms with peek-a-boo saloon-style doors on the stalls was scary enough, so we called it good.

It was a lovely, sunny day, perfect for walking along the boardwalk. Michael delighted in watching the waves crash against the shore. "Here comes a big one!" he would squeal each time one made its way up to the beach.


I think this is the first picture where I've actually been able to see a resemblance between David and Michael:



It was a fun day. And we even managed to resist the call of a deep-fried Snickers bar (which somehow manages to sound revolting and enticing, all at the same time), mostly because we had just polished off a funnel cake. But for us, that's some serious self control.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Bonnie, your hair is so long!

Sara said...

That's so funny that that is the first photo you've been able to see a resemblence between David & Michael, because I have always thought Michael looks like a carbon copy of David! :)

Coney Island sounds exactly like I pictured it too...

Tiffany said...

Cute pictures!! Sounds like you guys are enjoying yourself.

fiona said...

Fun! I've always wanted to go there... Those are such cute pics!

Oliver said...

You guys are beyond cute. Looks like the weather was perfect.