Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Somebody Please Explain

I see a lot of strollers while wandering around the city. Most are Maclarens, with a few Bugaboos and other high-end baby carriages thrown in for the Nanny-employing crowd. But the $800 strollers aren't the only variety that make me roll my eyes. Most often I have trouble hiding my feelings when I happen upon this kind of wheeled ride - a stroller for dogs.

That's right, they not only make strollers for dogs, but people who mistake their pets for children actually buy the ridiculous things. I can't tell you how many times I've walked by a stroller expecting to catch a gurgly baby smile only to peek in and be greeted by a slobbering dog face instead.

Honestly, this product makes no sense to me. Aren't dogs those animals that are supposed to be walked every day? Especially the ones that have been cooped up in an apartment all day long and could probably use the exercise?

So I whipped out my trusty google page and typed in "Why do people use dog strollers?" just for kicks. Among the results was this article, which I read, and subsequently came away even more convinced that people need to stop treating their animals like children.

Among my favorite reasons to buy a dog stroller:

"Worried about germs from other sick animals in the waiting room [at the vet]? A stroller keeps your dog off the floor and other surfaces visited by sick dogs all day."

Oh good, because I would be really worried if an animal that voluntarily eats poop and vomit, roots through garbage cans in search of delectable yummies plastered to the bottom, and washes the whole meal down with a drink from the toilet came into contact from any nasty germs at the vet's office.

Strollers are apparently also good for paw protection, especially on city sidewalks and in crowded situations, and can keep your dog from getting her tail stepped on at family picnics (You know, that place where your pet wants to be participating in the frisbee game instead of watching forlornly from her doggy throne?)

But my favorite reason?

"A dog stroller simply gives you more quality time with your dog. It lets you take your dog more places than a leash or even a pet carrier. With more workplaces, stores and restaurants becoming dog-friendly, a responsible dog owner with her dog in a stroller will always be welcome. A stroller lets your dog come along for errands, social visits, “bring your dog to work day,” and even shopping."

Bring your dog to work day? Are these people for real? I mean, no offense to my brother-in-law, who makes his living off this kind of crazy person, but does your dog really need to accompany you to Saturday brunch?

I just don't get it. Somebody please explain.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm as confused as you are. I thought one of the requirements of owning a dog was walking him/her/it several times a day?

Are we looking at a generation of obese pooches now too?

Sheesh. Poor dogs.

El Chileno said...

Pretty soon we will be seeing fat farms for dogs. People will spend thousand to shed those unsightly pounds when all they have to do is take the dog out for a run.

Megan B ♥ said...

Shhhhh.... I hate pets.