Wednesday, October 22, 2008

O Fortuna

I am not superstitious and I don't get into horoscopes or anything like that, but I love fortune cookies at Chinese restaurants. Well most of the time. I hate the cookies that say things like "Sunshine is happiness" (not a fortune) or "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" (again, not a fortune). But most of the time I like them. And I particularly enjoy the ones with misspellings, like "You will gain insight from your pears". Who knew Bartletts could be so helpful?

Luckily for me, my favorite Chinese restaurant generally has great fortunes. I'm talking about PF Chang's, of course, or her little sister eatery Pei Wei. I've received many a good fortune while dining at both establishments (waiting to crack open the cookie until my meal is finished, of course... it's bad luck to do it beforehand you know. Not that I care because I'm not superstitious).

My favorite fortune was one I got on my birthday several years ago. It said, "You and your spouse will be happy in your life together". Awww. Perfect birthday fortune.

Another was "A wish long delayed will soon be fulfilled". I got that one right before we found out I was pregnant with Michael, and those who know me know just how long delayed that wish actually was.

So tonight Michael and I ventured to Pei Wei for some chicken fried rice and a little insight from the Fortune Gods. Michael's cookie said he will receive many great kindnesses over the next year. I'm crossing my fingers (not literally, of course, because I'm not superstitious) for a patient nursery leader.

My cookie said, "Sometimes traveling to a new place leads to great transformation." Ah, fortune cookies, omniscient as ever. I'm hoping that "great transformation" has less to do with character-building and more to do with a decrease in hip circumference. Or possibly a few inches off my thighs. Okay, okay. I'll settle for a flat stomach.

I'm not picky.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVED living literally across the street from Pei Wei, and Harris Teeter, too! ~Ah, Virginia~ Trust me, you will miss it when you're gone. :(

fiona said...

Oh yeah, the pre-Michael fortune! That was just uncanny. Oh the wisdom of the cookie. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your "great transformation." There is no way your hips, thighs, or stomach need any part of that. At least that I remember...I guess it HAS been a year, and people DO change... Kidding!!

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

I love your title! That is one of my favorite songs...I don't know what it's about though. :)

There have been many occasions where I have thought "if only I could be a nursery worker for just a little while so I could help Bonnie and keep Michael in nursery." It seems they bring him out to find you at the first sign of tears. I'm sorry about that. This too shall pass and Michael will one day love nursery. It happened for Adam...he use to scream everytime I left the room (even at home).