Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Spoiled Rotten

Today my sister and I were discussing our jobs as stay-at-home moms. We decided we have it supremely easy compared to our ancestors. Our responsibilities (thankfully) do not include killing or de-feathering our meals, washing our clothes by hand, or even doing our dishes by hand. We live in air-conditioned, indoor-plumbing-ed comfort, our irons weigh a comfortable four-ish pounds, and we do not have to lean over our kettles in 100 degree heat while trying to keep our long skirts out of the fire.

Yes, we are spoiled rotten.

I have been thinking about this in relation to my husband's job. It is nearly 11:00 at night and he is still slaving away at the office. He called me to say I should probably just go to bed without him (ah, the life of a tax accountant), but I hate doing that. Even if I only get to see him for 5 minutes, I still want those 5 minutes. And it's so much nicer for him to come home to hug and a kiss than a snoring lump in the bed.

Besides, if I'm really tired tomorrow from staying up so late, I can just take a nap.

Which brings me back to that spoiled rotten thing. I think of how much time I have to do things I enjoy, and it's a lot. I have plenty of time by myself to play on the internet, watch TV, read a book, work on a project, play the piano or just relax. Even during the day when Michael is awake I still get to do a lot of things I want to do. (You actually can type with a child hanging on your leg!)

But David hardly gets any time for himself. It's a rare occasion when he is home and I'm not. The only time he comes home early during tax season is on Tuesdays, so he can walk back out the door to mutual. He works on Saturdays, and his Sundays really aren't that restful. He doesn't have time to work on his hobbies, or watch a movie, or relax in any way. Frankly, I don't know how he is even alive.

Sometimes people ask me how I survive with my husband working so much. A better question is how does he survive? He is the one doing all the hard work, taking care of our family, fulfilling his church calling, getting up first in the morning and bouncing me out of bed to read scriptures, and through it all asking me how I am doing.

In short, he is amazing beyond belief.

I love you, David. Thank you for everything you do.

5 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

Thanks for the perspective of this post. I'm so self-absorbed lately that I forget to take into account the sacrifices Justin is constantly making, without complaint. I've been thinking a lot about this post since yesterday, so thanks.

Sara said...

Reading your post made me cry. What you have is what I'd give almost anything to have.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

Thanks for the post! It is always good to be reminded of the blessings we all have...and we all have them!

fiona said...

Wow. If Z isn't home by 4:30, I start getting antsy. I hope David's a bit less busy soon! And I am immensely grateful that I don't have to chop off chicken heads and use an outhouse in the middle of the night. Or wear petticoats.