Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back in Training

As Leah has now gone more than a month without an accident I suppose I can declare that she is officially potty trained.  I hesitate to mention this though because you know how it is -- you say your kid has accomplished something and they immediately regress clear back to the fetal stage and forget how to hold their own sippy cup. 

But, she is trained.  And not only is she trained, she's like a walking advertisement for underwear.  She sings at least six songs about her panties, most of them set to the tune of "Ring Around the Rosies", and all of them involving happy screaming.  Literally, anyone says "underwear" and she goes running down the hall shrieking "Unnnnerwear!!!!  Unnnnerrware!!!!  I pick!!!"  Then she giggles and squeals as she peruses her collection of Hello Kitty panties until she settles on one that is juuuuust right.  Once that decision is made, she hugs the chosen pair.  She hugs her underwear.

Judging by the way Matthew watches this process in a bewildered sort of daze, I'm guessing the underwear thing won't work so well on him. 

I kind of let his training fall by the wayside because it was impossible to keep track of two diaperless bottoms every single second of every single day, and we all know that when it comes to potty training there is one unalterable law:  if a mother turns her back at any time for any reason, her child will use that moment to pee somewhere he should not be peeing.  (Seriously, it's like playing "Red Light, Green Light", only it involves urine and carpets so it's a lot less fun).

So I said to heck with this and I focused on Leah.  I focused on her so well that I managed to convince myself she still wasn't trained even after she overcame her phobia of public potties enough to pee at Wal-Mart on an automatic flush toilet.

Deep down I think I just didn't want to return to the training portion of my program.  I mean, I already trained one kid this year.  Can't someone else do the other one?  Anyone?

No takers?

Rats.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love little girls. :)

fiona said...

Underwear songs! Awesome :) Pretty impressive that she has conquered the automatic flush toilets, too. Those can be scary...

fiona said...

Underwear songs! Awesome :) Pretty impressive that she has conquered the automatic flush toilets, too. Those can be scary...