Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So Mature

I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person. I read conservative and liberal news websites for fun. I try to stay abreast of current events. And when I go to the library I try to choose at least one book from each of four categories:

Fiction
Non-fiction (generally about a social or political issue)
Biography/historical
Self-improvement (marriage, parenting, etc.)

These are the last five books I've read:

Save the Males: Why Men Matter, Why Women Should Care
Spoken From the Heart (The memoirs of Laura Bush)
Mockingjay
Sheet Music: Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage
Left to Tell: Discovering God Amid the Rwandan Holocaust

Hmmm... Apparently I really enjoy books with two-part titles. (They were all worthwhile reads, by the way).

But seriously, I try to be well-rounded and informed. And I really dislike the fifteen-minutes-of-fame culture that celebrates crude, rude, and edgy. I don't even like the word "fart".

So why is it that every time I come across news articles about the unfortunately-named seventh planet, I can't help but smirk?

Gah! What am I, twelve?

2 comments:

fiona said...

Heheheh... I know, right? I like the advice of Dr. Pamela Gay: to avoid "being made fun of by any small schoolchildren ... when in doubt, don't emphasise anything and just say ūr′·ə·nəs. And then run, quickly."

Suzanne Lucas said...

I have a similar maturity level.