Friday, February 4, 2011

The Other Sisters

Yesterday I was chatting with my eldest (I don't really like that word. It makes her sound old, when in reality she doesn't look a day over 30) sister when we got to talking about the two sisters who are nestled between us in age.

"You realize both of our sisters are becoming famous, don't you?" she said.

"I know. We're the untalented ones."

"Suzie gets 100,000 hits on her blog each month. And Stephanie just got nominated for her third Whitney Award."

"Yeah, well, I thought about taking a nap today."

"I just ate a whole bag of mint milano cookies."

"Mmmm... cookies."

"Mmmm... nap."

Hard to see why we're not up there with the big guns, isn't it?

But, in honesty, it got me thinking about talents. I mean, there's talent, and there's talent.

So Stephanie has written a bunch of award-winning novels. Big deal. I can pick up a twenty pound baby off the floor with one hand.

So Suzie writes a popular column for BNET. I can eat a whole bag of fun-size Twix bars and destroy the evidence, all before David gets home from work.

I've even managed to get through airport security with more than 3 ounces of liquid in my purse!

I know, my abilities are simply staggering.

But then, I realized something. One person's talents do not diminish another person's skills. Which is lucky for you. That way you don't have to feel inferior when I'm so on the ball that my Christmas thank yous get sent out in March.

Man, I'm good.

4 comments:

mean aunt said...

Plus I have a talent in playing Nancy Drew games. That's not something you see everyday :)

Suzanne Lucas said...

This made me laugh out loud. Bonnie, you should read Alkatraz and the Evil Librarians. Everyone has a talent. Alkatraz's talent is breaking things. Another person's talent is splashing water on the floor while doing dishes.

I'm jealous of your ability to eat an entire bag of fun size twixes and then hide the evidence from your husband. I can do the eating thing, but I always get caught.

Thanks for the compliments!

Stephanie Black said...

:) You guys are so sweet. I look at you and think YOU'RE incredibly talented--I think it's always easier to see other people's talents than to see our own.

fiona said...

You forgot to mention your amazing rolls and your killer Halloween parties... those are a couple more of your enviable and, quite frankly, awesome talents.