Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It Depends on What the Meaning of Emergency Is...

In the news today, a Florida woman called 911 three times to report an emergency: McDonald's had run out of Chicken McNuggets.

I would say McDonald's running out of processed chicken parts was God's gift to humanity, but I will admit to enjoying the revolting things myself every now and then. So while I'm sure the prospect of missing out on the nuggety goodness was disappointing for this woman, she obviously needs a lesson on what 911 is for.

She insisted: "This is an emergency. If I would have known they didn't have McNuggets, I wouldn’t have given my money, and now she wants to give me a McDouble, but I don’t want one. This is an emergency."

Apparently the real trouble came about because she had ordered the McNuggets, paid for them, and then was told the restaurant was out of their supply. A manager, apparently lacking a brain, denied her a refund, instead trying to get her to choose something else from the menu.

Well, that manager is an idiot (and has now issued a public mea culpa). But regardless of how wrong the manager may have been, it was absolutely no excuse for this woman to call 911 even once, let alone three times.

For heaven's sake, Chicken McNuggets are an emergency? Let's hope this woman never stubs her toe.

No comments: