Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's a New Year

Time for a New Year's Resolution. I've made one, but I'm not going to tell you what it is. You see, I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed that your New Year's Resolution is some tiny little thing like discover a new planet or eradicate malaria. Because, wouldn't you feel ridiculous if all you did was win the Nobel Prize and I was like, "I mopped my kitchen floor ONCE A MONTH for an entire year!" Yeah, that would be pretty humiliating for you.

I will say that, for the first time in my entire life, I actually made and kept a New Year's resolution! Minus a couple of days when I was in the hospital strung up to an IV pole or barfing my guts out (and who is going to make me count those?), I actually took a shower and got ready every single day this year. Just like I said I would!

Yes, that is the earth trembling under your feet.

How did I do it, you ask? At first I would put the babies in their pack 'n play to protect them from the deviousness of their older brother. Then one day I heard (extra) screaming while I was in the shower and found this:


So, I've had to reconfigure a few times. I've listened to a lot of crying. And I've gone racing down the hall a hundred times, dripping wet, to drag my little mischief-maker to time out so I could have a chance to wash the shampoo out of my hair.

Last week it dawned on me: If I could actually make and meet a goal to shower every day, what else am I capable of doing?

Whoa. Maybe I actually can mop the floor once a month!

Hey, anything is possible.

2 comments:

overlyactive said...

That made me laugh. I wish I could mop my floor once a month. Just this morning Devin said, "Man this floor is dirty." And I said, "yep it is." Have I mopped it yet. Nope but sure need to.

Rachel said...

Hi Bonnie! I'm Tom Pierce's wife, Rachel, and I thought I'd come peek at your blog after getting your Christmas card. I think I'm going to enjoy reading this- you are too funny :) I can SO identify to being a crazy mom- not of multiples, but I just had my 4th, so it's mayhem at times.
And I really don't think I could take a shower every day for a year or even mop my floor once a month- so you're amazing!
If you'd like an invite to our blog, send me an email at rachelwhitepierce(at)gmail(dot)com
Take care!
-Rachel Pierce