Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wanted: Motivation

I would love to lose 40 lbs., but not nearly as much as I would love to bake and consume an entire pan of brownies. And therein lies the problem: I want to lose weight, but I don't want to sacrifice anything for it. I'd rather cut off the size tags on my jeans (on account of their tactless behavior in reminding me how much my hips have expanded) and eat what I want.

But, I realize I need to be healthier. This is why David and I recently instituted a no-sugar-on-weekdays rule. We lasted, oh, twelve hours. Because it was family home evening night, you see, and we couldn't possibly forgo the FHE treat. For the sake of the children, of course.

Then last night David asked me if we were still attempting the no-sugar thing. I shrugged in a noncommittal way, trying to hide the fact that I was in the kitchen sneaking one of Michael's laffy taffys.

"May is a new month. Maybe that would be a good time to start," David said as he inched toward the ice cream in the freezer.

"How about 2015?" I suggested. Then I poured myself a glass of chocolate milk.

The problem is that neither one of us is sufficiently motivated, and both of us are easily swayed by the other's moments of weakness. We need one of us to be really into exercise. Or really into celery. One of the two.

Of course I'm being facetious. I really don't want to have some exercise enthusiast bouncing me out of bed at 6 a.m. to run around the block. There is nothing worse than a person who gets a rush from exercise trying to get me enthused about doing daily sit-ups. But I might be saying that out of bitterness that the only rush I get from a workout is an overwhelming desire to rush to my bed afterwards for a nap.

I can't talk to exercise enthusiasts when I'm looking for advice, either, because they just don't understand why their romanticized talk of cardio and crunches tempts me to make murderous use of their two-pound weights.

So I guess I'll just wait until I get to the point where I'd rather fit into my pre-motherhood jeans than have dessert.

Until then, pass the brownies.

6 comments:

Suzanne Lucas said...

And this is why I don't own a car. Seriously. If I had a car, I woudl drive instead of walk. If I walk I would have to stop eating like a pig.

I like to eat like a pig. Oink, oink. Pass the brownies over here. With mint frosting. Yum.

Cath said...

Amen Sista! Cut yourself some slack... for a while! Sugar got me through the first year of both our twins! Has a lot to do with sleep deprivation. You're so tired your body CRAVES quick energy = SUGAR. I'm still waiting for that motivation to come my way. If it arrives in sufficient quantity for you - would you mind sending some my way??

Elizabeth West said...

Mmm chocolate milk...

*shakes head violently*

I try to think of it as being healthy rather than losing weight, to motivate myself to exercise. I HATE to do it and when I'm tired at the end of the day, that makes it worse. One thing that helped a LOT was cutting down the amount I ate. I hadn't realized I was eating as much as I was.

Since I've been thinking about it that way, it's easier to eat my veggies and find stuff to do that I enjoy that is also calorie-burning. And I have found I don't crave the bad stuff so much and it's easier to resist it when I do.

I let myself have a little every once in a while, though.

fiona said...

Z and I once had what is known as our "year of ice cream". At least a bowl every night. Finally we just couldn't have it sitting there in the freezer. It could only come in for special occasions. So now I know if I really want to make myself NOT eat it, it just can't be in the house. Otherwise I'm toast.

Now, I DO like to exercise, and still haven't started since Maeve was born. It's just so difficult to get going! Sigh. I ate waaaay too many brownies (according to my brain...my mouth had no problem) these last few days, but they were soooo good!

Stephanie Black said...

I'm so with you, Bonnie. I'd love to lose weight, but I love eating more. Until those two loves reverse, I'm not going to get smaller, and I don't think that reversal is going to happen anytime soon.

lori said...

Yes, Aaron and I have discussed the idea of cutting back from two desserts to one, unless we REALLY earn the second one. We feel very good about the idea.