Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fashion Bug


Yesterday morning I emerged from the shower to find that Leah was wandering around the kitchen with a maxi pad stuck to her chest. She was pleased as punch with her new fashion accessory. I was going to pull it off, but then I thought, why not let her enjoy it now? She certainly won't enjoy it after she's spent half her life feeling like a soggy phonebook is bonded to her underwear.

So I took a picture, but it turned out to be a little too Lady Gaga meets Lindsey Lohan's mug shot for my taste. So I'm posting this swimsuit picture instead because it makes me think fondly of simpler days. Also because it makes me go "Awwwwww."

And, it's so fashionable and cute, and this is a post about fashion. More specifically, little girls and fashion. And the fact that my sweet eighteen-month-old Leah actually cares what outfit she wears. Which confused me at first, but now it makes sense. I mean, you know what they say, "Hell hath no fury like a toddler who is not allowed to choose her own outfit."

Wait, they don't say that? Well, they would have if they had met Leah.

Lest you think this is the hill I really want to die on, let it be known that I don't actually care what she wears. If it's in her closet, she can wear it. But footie pajamas on a Costco outing in 95-degree weather seem like overkill, don't you think?

Choosing an outfit for Leah is like having to find the true Holy Grail among the collection of impostors. Oh, the screaming, rolling-around-the-floor tantrums (complete with tears that would put any crocodile to shame) that result when I choose poorly. Lately she spends half the day in her jammies or her diaper because I cannot find any outfit to please her.

I can't wait till Junior Prom rolls around.

4 comments:

MyDonkeySix said...

It'll be wonderful when she can dress herself! Then she will be sure to get her outfit right. And what is the fascination with feminine hygeine products? My kids too at that age!

fiona said...

Okay, that is a stinkin' adorable girl you've got there! Maeve has some strong opinions about fashion, too... sigh. And gets super, super annoyed that she CAN'T, actually, dress herself yet. Ah, toddlers!

Cath said...

This post has me rolling. "soggy phonebook bonded to her underwear" - pretty sure you got that one right. Love the picture. Yes, "Awwww..." and as for Junior Prom, I'm thinking once she hits those teenage years, her fashionista persona is going to keep you looking way more savvy than the rest of us. Count it a blessing?

Liz Warner said...

Ha! WOW. I can't wait for Junior Prom either - it'll be one FABULOUS dress! I just hope mommie gets some spa time afterward! But the real reason why I'm commenting is to tell you this picture is *so* adorable!