Friday, October 9, 2009

A World Gone Mad

This morning I checked my calendar to see if it was April 1st, since the news headline that greeted me on my homepage was "Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize". Pardon me, but huh? For what? Brokering a peace deal over a tense tea party between Sasha and Malia?

I'm so confused. I mean, up to this point I was under the impression you actually had to do something to win this prize. Although, I suppose if the only qualification is that you not be George W. Bush, Obama had it in the bag.

(Somewhere Bill Clinton just put his fist through a wall).

Sadly, this is only one of many evidences I've received today that the world has gone mad. This afternoon as I was walking home from the grocery store, I ended up behind three guys, one of whom was describing some boyfriend-material he'd recently met. As he described the man, one of the other guys piped up, "He sounds so familiar. I wonder if I [had sex with] him?"

Nice.

So I crossed the street and settled into pace in front of a platonic couple who were having a conversation about cheaters. "That's why I'm not married anymore," said the man, "because my wife cheated on me." He almost had my sympathy until he added, "But she was cheating on her boyfriend when I met her, so I guess that's just her." Um, sounds like all that needs to be said to this man is "duh".

Of course, if you've been watching the news, you should know by now that cheating is no big deal, especially if your name is David Letterman and you've been bed-hopping with your employees. And as long as we are talking about things that aren't a big deal, neither is rape, with the small proviso that you are a big-time award-winning movie director. It doesn't even matter if the victim was thirteen at the time. All's fair in sex and Hollywood.

Oh well, who has time to be concerned over such things when we could be busy slobbering over the "accomplishments" of our president?

Stop the world, I want to get off.

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

YES!!! I just KNEW there was going to be a new post today after I saw the Nobel headline :) LOL, thanks for the frank analysis, love it!